IDIA is seeking an experienced systems administrator to join a team that works on supporting OpenStack cloud systems for use by IDIA researchers. Experience working with big data projects in areas such as Astronomy, High Energy Physics, Omics or Earth Observation Science will be an asset. The systems administrator will work closely with the IDIA systems and support teams and will be located at the University of the Western Cape. This is a full time position for an initial term of one year
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following key responsibilities amongst others;
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Maintain of OpenStack systems by working with an existing distributed support and development team
- Installation and maintenance of scientific software systems
- Working with researchers to help them utilise the environment effectively
- Maintain Linux and OpenStack environments and;
- Work with scientists to deploy software tools onto the cloud systems
- BSc in Computer Science or related discipline
- At least three years experience supporting Linux based systems or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Ability to deploy and troubleshoot Unix/Linux based systems
- Experience with virtualized computing environments (e.g., Xen, KVM, ESX)
- Experience maintaining cloud computing frameworks (E.g., OpenStack, OpenNebula, Nimbus)
- Experience supporting scientists to efficiently deploy software tools and workflows
- Ability to work collaboratively with a distributed team
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem solving, time management, and organizational skill.
To apply, interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae and the names and numbers of 3 contactable referees in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 August 2023 (extended from 15 August 2023).
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive a response within 30 days of sending in your application, please consider your application unsuccessful. In line with IDIA’s commitment to diversifying its workforce, preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants in line with employment targets of our partner universities. IDIA reserves the right to not make an appointment, make an appointment at a different level, seek additional candidates and may conduct competency assessments.